The local ecosystem of our municipality is highly conditioned by agricultural activity, although it preserves an important natural biodiversity.
Two types of ecosystems can be distinguished: the one linked to the river and its plain, with riverside forests and irrigated land, and another with xerophytic vegetation, located on the slopes of the valley and moorland (El Llano).
The vegetation near the Tajuña River is composed of flora linked to rocky areas typical of cliffs and cut off from the banks of rivers and irrigated agricultural crops. Within the first one, ailanto, black and white poplars, taray, reeds, walnut trees, brambles, hazelnuts and elms. The second category includes cereals such as wheat, barley and maize, garlic, vegetables and fruit trees, including plums, pears and apples.
Among the vegetation located on the slopes of the valley and the highlands stand out the dry farming crops, among which the olive groves stand out, with 1,600 hectares cultivated, cereals, vines and almonds. As for the scrub, located in the areas with the steepest slopes, esparto, coscoja, broom, thyme, rosemary and our holm oaks predominate.
Heading north of the town centre is a 33-hectare pine forest. Next to the slopes of Via Verde you can see some pine trees.
We find a great diversity of fauna, conserved by the agro-ecological characteristics of the municipality. Broadly speaking, two faunal zones can be distinguished:
- Zone of banks, fertile plain and Tajuña river:
- Fish: barbo, carpín, tenca and boga; amphibians, corridor toad, mottled sapillo, common frog and marbled newt.
- Reptiles: viperine snake, collar snake, lizards and geckos.
- Birds: mallard duck, goldfinch, white stork, lagoon harrier, pigeons zurita and torcaz, yellowfinch, common finch, common calender, martinete, oropendola, magpie, magpie, woodpecker, moscón bird, capirotada warbler.
- Mammals: Water rat, common hedgehog, polecat and mole.
Area of scrub, dry crops and yesiferous soils:
Birds: pardillo, lark, red and common partridge, mochuelo, goldfinch, pale harrier, triguero, cogujada común, avutarda, sisón, sparrows common and miller, urraca, ganga, ortega y abubilla, pigeon bravia, corneja, grajilla, quail, bumblebee, sparrow sparrows.
Mammals: common hedgehog, hare, weasel, rabbit, field mouse, marten, badger, badger, wild boar, fox, wild cat and genet.
Reptiles: stair snake and Iberian lizard.